Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Maya II

This post is long long overdue. It's titled Maya II... for a reason. In a way, there is no connection to my previous post 'Maya', nevertheless is intimately connected. God bless them little intimate dualities.

Some memories are vivid, rich in detail. Not blurry. And some memories are blurry. Hazy, fading... Like the colour on a t-shirt which turns a shade lighter, progressing into white with every wash undergone in the ruthless hands of the autocratic maid who refuses to treat t-shirts with care. But now, maids are a different issue altogether.

15th of August, 2003. India's 56th Independence Day. My first. Bro-in-law pushes off to the US leaving you in my care. I couldn't ride you, let alone any bike, for nuts. But that was back then. So many firsts... The first thrill of an acceleration, the first crash (and the accompanying transcendental experience, the first 'getting-caught-without-driving-license-cos-you're-below-eighteen' and 'getting-let-off-by-lady-inspector-who-thought-i-was-on-a-date-cos-a-girl-was-sitting-behind', the first escape, the first broken red signal, the first crush, the first relationship (Hon, with you of course), the first relationship with a girl, endless trips, endless excesses of the engine, the first wheelie (with Succubus), the first awkward wheelie with possibilities of huge damage (with thedevilskid). Those days...

You would stand covered in rainwater, mud and slime while resting on that sidestand to give a distinct impression of an all-weather-enduring-entity as I looked towards you from a window of a nearby building to see flashes of white reflect off the black paint and the glittering chrome.


I'd turn my back and remember my breath and your exhaust, the cold forcing both into traces of white fog. Those moments, those moments... A rueful smile would always escape my lips.

Now you're telling me you're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You were so good with words
And at keeping things vague

'Cause I need some of that vagueness now
It's all come back too clearly, yes, I love you dearly
And if you're offering me diamonds and rust, I've already paid

But we both know what memories can bring
They bring Diamonds and Rust
Yes we both know what memories can bring
They bring Diamonds and Rust


-> Judas Priest - Diamonds And Rust

Darling, I've had some of the best times of my life with you. I'm sorry for all the times I've excessed you. You roared, you purred. You were docile, you were arrogant, you were almost anything a man could ever ask for. A boy, whom you turned into a man. I'll always remember you for the happiness you've given me during those times when even those closest to my heart were never there to support me. But in the end, I had to let go, cos' you were never mine. You weren't mine, baby. We've honeymooned for 20000 kms over two and a half years. We've spent our time. And our parting was inevitable. It hurt me. You meant more to me than any living being.

To a man, an intimate relationship of machine, meat and flesh will always mean more, in certain ways, than a relationship of bone and flesh. I can't thank you enough. It's with a heavy heart that I had to move on. Some part of you still lives on in me. And you can never deny that. You can never deny that honey...

I don't believe that anybody feels
The way I do about you now

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don't know how

-> Oasis - Wonderwall

The coldness of the steel and a parting in the misty morning silence.
And now, you're but a shadow of yourself. Of us.

I called you 'Maya' for this very reason. So magical, so real, yet so illusory. So deceptive, so illustrative, yet... so beautiful. A name that always meant a lot to me...

We Hindus believe that once a person dies, the soul ascends to higher planes, where it becomes one with the eternal consciousness, and that very soul, though sometimes enriched with wisdom, returns back to earth to fulfill a purpose. You lost your soul, became soulless, when we parted. A month later you emerged, as one with a stronger heart... a 180 cc mill with 16 and half horses. And it's your soul that has now entered the new one. I will call her Maya, again, in your memory, and because you now are the soul of the new Maya. Resurrected. To be united with me. Again, and again, and again, and to forever be mine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

too much to read during this "home again" season. :D but nevertheless, ANOTHER post about your bikey, eh? nice... i will read it all later, though.
r0CKOn!

Anonymous said...

in the meantime, try reading this blog: http://knotsandthreads.blogspot.com
rOCKOn!

Malaveeka said...

Nice...

Anonymous said...

fear the black eh?
Must admit, the 180 is a v cool machine.
Seen the new bike from Bajaj coming to compete with the Karizma?

Sh'shank said...

i know exactly what u mean by a first on a bike.
a bike and a man relationship is the best one can ever experience.
very intimate.
bikes are the most fantastic er (i want to say) creatures i am not sure that would be considered appropriate but nevertheless.
found ur blog atlast.
the orignal ponderer

Bhavna said...

hey post quickly...i miss reading your blog and going.."er..wha...ok whatever..its AC after all!!"

nice post,by the way. please convey my warmest regards to Maya..its been a while..

Malaveeka said...

what's with men and bikes?

seriously....

just don't get it...

Anu said...

boys and ure toys!!! dude only u can write a post (with love songs included)abt a bike!!! im sure ure bike feels the same way u do...
purrrrr....

Me Thinks.. said...

dude u write pretty well! finally landed up on your blog..been a while...bikes and boys..the only everlasting relationship i say..
this is someone noone can live without! translate into hindi and u will know!!

Meghna said...

update!