Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Beautiful Day

It turned out to be one of those very mornings.

You wake up on the right side of the bed, there's warm sunshine everywhere. Oh the joy of it all. You have a few tasks to do, and upon completion, immense satisfaction will be derived. Important tasks at that too...

And everything goes haywire.
Starting with the fact that you are late.
No smoke to start the day with. (I postulate that it could be the lack of a smoke which twists the fabric of space and time in a manner so as to cause the universe conspire against you and cause grevious hurt. It will be found 50 years down that Arcane Crapper was indeed right when he postulated thus, and unknowingly gave rise to Cigarettostatics.)
And traffic jams. Let me not even get started on that.

If you're familiar with the traffic jams in Bangalore, you will probably have realized (and it's surprising how most people have not) that you spend a considerable amount of time each day at traffic signals.

On an average, 2 minutes at each major junction and 5 minutes in the case of a traffic jam - assuming a daily travel estimate of 30 kms. Multiply by at least 25 junctions per day, of which 10 junctions are experiencing a jam during peak hour. Add it up, and you waste 80 minutes per day. A very reasonable average. Totals to 29200 minutes or roughly 20 days per year. So the next time you want an excuse, use this. Of course, it must be understood that I cannot even start discussing the tortures of all those poor IT professionals who spend hours on the road, simply because I am not one.

So there's this guy on a bike who I guess figured out how much of his life he wasted at traffic signals and broke a red only to have the Arcane Crapper crash into him.

Newton would have been proud. His laws, and the principle of conservation of momentum were so beautifully exemplified. I mean, come on, in this Einstein-crazed world, who even remembers Newton? Yes, I did him proud. In scientific language, it's called 'Collision of two POINT particles'.

A nice bike skid on a busy traffic intersection,
an indifferent cop who just wanted the affected parties to 'clear the area',
and the surprise of actually realizing that I knew the guy who I collided with,
a twisted handlebar,
a semi-broken footrest and
some yelling from dad (who coincidentally grounded the bike and in the process, the Arcane Crapper also. He will now be highly encouraged to explore alternative forms of transport such as the BMTC bus service which many people say, has highly improved.)

I guess this is life's way of keeping things in check. A little disaster here and there. Makes life complete. Fulfilling, almost. Some might even say - "Builds character." Yes, definitely one of those mornings where enlightenment flows free and unconstrained. Realizations follow.

I still cannot forget the sick thud that went through my ears when I fell. I shudder to think what would have happened had the helmet not been there.

Some stinging dettol and avoiding my grandmother later, here I am, in front of the screen staring at the beautiful (yeah right!) screen, listening to Children of Bodom riffing out Warheart, while fingers press the right keys to convey to my fellow human beings an important message.

Life is calling. Where are you?
:)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maya got hurted aa?
BMTC. hmmmm. good luck.
A little disaster here and there makes life complete? If at all there's a certain number that makes life complete, I'm way more than complete now... am I ready to die then? :D

Anonymous said...

Was Dad's act of grounding the crapper and the bike coincidental or consequential?

Sh'shank said...

DOODH!!!
now how is MAYA???
and u must be a bloody huge particle actually sum of very huge particles...

H said...

BMTC or BMW?

somehow my aging eyes prefer the sight of BMW limo service. govt. run and all.

Pavitra said...

Whoa...Hope ur fine! Ha ha tho am sure ur probably more upset about the wounds on ur bike dan ur own!! ;)
It's amazing how you feel like smiling after every such incident!! 'Life' i'd say is the biggest ever attention seeker!!

Wabbster said...

Life is calling?

My phone's on silent mode.

Oh well... I'll try to return the call.

Ree said...

Ok...AC, i was going to comment, had a nice one in mind until i read ur last line...punch line...it wouldnt surprise u, wud it, if i said i had the exact same punch line in mind five minutes back?

Me Thinks.. said...

I hope Maya is alright! You and Newton have fun... Life is calling, here I am...;)

Anu said...

whoaaa... no wonder u were wondering why i dint like skid u with questions... hope ure fyne now and newton is happy that u rem him!!!

Anonymous said...

→ Nikhil: Your life is 200% complete then. Am not sure if you're ready to die. Not enough research has been done. :) And the act was coincidental. :|

→ Pricky: Yes, huge particles. :|

→ H: Well, neither! Saving grace turned out to be inter-city buses from Tamilnadu and my own two feet. :)

→ Prude: Am recovering. Thanks for asking. :) Bike is grounded anyways. I feel like smiling cos there really is no other choice.

→ Wabby: Vibrator? :D

→ Reema: Nope.

→ Methi: Nope. Ice-cream or whisky sometime?

→ Tanu: Recovering. Your vengaaya sambhar has been fedexed. Where's my English beer?

H said...

But when are you posting again?