Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Kavalur Trip

Damn!! I should have written about the Kavalur trip earlier but I'll try my best to recall and tell. An moreover it's almost a week since I have written anything. Curses...

The day started with Sakshath calling me up at bloody 12.30AM when I had just fallen asleep. He asked about what to carry and all. So satyanaaas... Sleep gone. Scene changes to 4.00AM when some neighbour puts Suprabhatham at the decibel level of a bloody rock concert. So there went my sleep again. Scene Shifts to 6.00AM, i wake up and go to brush my teeth. As I'm rinsing my mouth, I puke!!! All of a sudden, no pukey feeling or anything, I just puke. Then I coolly get ready and pick up Rohit on the way. He was grumbling as usual that I was late. Had a Gold Flake in the auto... mind you that was just after puking and a glass of milk. We call up Sakshath and tell him that we're on our way... He tells us that the bus is about to leave. We get tensed.

We reached IIA and bloody, the bus had not even come and was due in another half an hour. So Sakshath got a few curses from me. But he conveniently had vanished from the scene to go have breakfast... while we just had a packet of Choco nuts or whatever biscuits for breakfast. So we ask Sakshath to get idlis for our breakfast, which was then polished off by me in under a minute. Now there was this huge problem facing us - whether or not to get cigarettes for the trip. After a heated debate, we finally got 6 cigs. Then Sudhir had recently acquired a nu digicam which came in handy... very handy, to be precise. We took a lot of snaps and then our bus (Tempo Traveller) finally arrived.

The trip was quite scenic and uneventful with us playing Dumb Charades and pigging out on the food Suhas had brought. Oh yeah, my Hutch reception blacked out 2.678215 kms from Bangalore city limits. "Wherever you go, our network follows." kathe... Saale gaandu log. Fuckers should be shot dead.

We reached Kavalur... after passing through some unheard of villages and all... Me and Sakshath slept like logs after lunch while the others roamed around the place (the saner ones stuck to the roads while the more eccentric ones like Rohit went around in the forests). Then by evening, got up, got ready, went to the 2 metre telescope (as in the diameter of the lens was 2 metres) and that too when the dude in charge had just finished explaining about it. DAMN!! Anyways, then we went to the 1.5m telescope to record our observations about the spectra and all. I'm leaving out the details...

By this time we were left with just one cigarette, oh yeah, i had smoked one in the loo... And moreover if we knew Kavalur would be so empty and full of forests we would have got more cigarettes. But forget that, the view of the night sky was just amazing. Fuckin amazing... No words can describe it. The weather too... the weather too... and the sky too... So basically we were awake till around 2.30 to 3.00 AM. I had dozed off a little earlier on the terrace while everyone was playing some weird game which I don't even remember.

That crazy Bhavna woke us up like at 4.30AM. 50000 curses upon that blasted female... Anyways we cuaght some lovely photos of the sunrise, had tea, left for Alangayam (a semi-village) where we had to catch a bus of good ol' TNSRTC to Bangalore. Got on the bus(but Me, Rohit and Sakshath had a smoke before that), came back rolling to Bangalore... Wrote that screwed up poem on the way. Listened to St. Anger as well...

Ultimately Kavalur left me with some fond memories... and some realizations about my concrete jungle. Nice trip, overall. Brilliant actually I'd say...

No comments: